Tuesday 29 July 2014

Why A Collection of Short Stories?

Many writers are meant for writing short stories.  It is their forte.  But can it be for everybody?

When I started out, back in the day, I joined a writing group and that is all I did, (short story writing), or even thought about doing.  If I managed to create a piece that I actually liked, and didn't apologise for profusely prior to reading it to the group, then I was happy.  Oh, the apology thing?  The explanation, the excuse about lack of time to proof read, the apologies for any language that might offend - I still do that.

Somewhere along the way, several groups and anthologies later, and having listened to hundreds of excellently crafted short stories, I suddenly stopped writing.  It was as if my characters refused to be constrained.  There was so much they wanted to say, and I just didn't have the experience or the confidence to let them.  One could say, that perhaps my power over them, was the only bit of control I had.  However, when you are meant to write, no amount of impediments, or life constraints, will stop it happening.

For me, it was when I came through the tunnel of further education, and held those pieces of paper (because that's all those certificates are) that I felt I could venture forth.  How does it go in A Knight's Tale?  'You have been judged...'  Except that I had not been found wanting, and I had the seal of approval, or perhaps the armour of protection; to write.


Strictly speaking, Seven Stops is not my first novel.  Years, and years, and years ago, I wrote a romance novel.  Fifty-five thousand words about cupid's arrow uniting two unlikely people typed up on my old Amstrad, (remember those? So easy to use!).  I sent the polished 3 chapters and a synopsis to Mills & Boon.  They sent me a lovely and very helpful rejection.  They thought my heroine was too strong and my hero not alpha enough, but if I made the adjustments they wanted to see it again.  Somehow life got in the way.  The old Amstrad went to another home and I only had the paper copy left with me.  With a new PC, that I had no idea how to use, I filed the sheets in a drawer along with my other creations; the short stories and the plays for radio, theatre, and TV.   None of them are forgotten.  Therefore, will they ever be at peace?

Writing Seven Stops took 7 years.  One of the biggest obstacles was the synopsis.  Once I prevaricated for a year, can't remember what else I did, probably pretended I was looking for an agent.  Finally, I resorted to the method that can work for students.  I gave myself a deadline.  And then I gave my closest friends permission to nag me whenever I hadn't written.  Fortunately/unfortunately I'm honest, I find it difficult to lie under interrogation!  Anyway, it works.  Hence the 3 novels.

When A Fine Balance went on-line, I felt exhausted.  The sequel to Goods By Hand is ready in first draft.  Plus another full draft of a novel (ghost story) is waiting to be edited.  Both works looked like mountains with peaks so high that I felt unable to climb them.  Then that light bulb moment.  Years ago, a short story of mine, Inward Eye Of The Stones, had been published in a magazine.  Why not dust off a few cobwebs?  A friend of mine has wanted to be a character in one of my pieces for sometime.  I enjoyed writing that one immensely; she was delighted by it. There have been many disturbing issues/incidents in the news, and my collection built quite quickly.  The final result was Manna For Heaven.

There are quite a few short stories/ideas emanating from my latest publication.  However, I'm almost, sort of, ready to try going back to finish what I started.  It needs to be the sequel, but, just so long as I'm writing, then I won't get nagged too much.

To answer the original question; the time was right.

I hope they will be enjoyed.


No comments:

Post a Comment