Wednesday 1 April 2015

Not Part 2

Here it is.  Another post – difficult for me to believe it too.

It is not part 2 to the last post and I had hoped to do it within seven days, but because, 1) I did not promise I would, and 2) encouragement is the way to go these days, I have not actually failed.  Therefore that pink pig should be let out of its pen and allowed to fly.

Numbers, writing, and stuff...

Seven is a great number.  I love it.  And the number three.  There are a few others such as birth dates that I wouldn't ignore on pain of death, and others that refuse to be forgotten/ignored no matter how hard one tries such as events/anniversaries.

As a writer, I like paying heed to the role numbers play in literature.  I enjoy using them every which way I can.  Often I sneak them into my novels and short stories, ensuring that they’re not as obvious as 'X marks the spot' but that they will be noticed/discovered by some similar like-minded soul to me who reads between the lines.  My first ever novel, Seven Stops, had a few ‘sevens’ that were obvious.  For instance the story is told by seven voices.  Then there are forty-nine chapters and my little Jack Smith, who is seven years old, lives seven bus stops away from my protagonist, Anna Culpepper's house.  There were other 'sevens' dotted about.  And I had great fun with each and everyone.

Writing the sequel to Seven Stops has begun...finally.  However, I am only 1500 words in.  Although the plot is known in its entirety, and the chapters labelled, (that's the closest I will probably ever get to being able to plan), the only definite about it from now until it has left the nest, is its title; Eighth Stop.

I can teach planning and even have qualifications that says so, however, when it comes to my doing it...nope...failed every time – and there have been many attempts.  Perhaps when I go back to working on my SF novella I’ll give it go first.  As it is important to get Eighth Stop drafted, it makes sense to concentrate on the writing as I have dithered over so many aspects of it.  Such as, 1) the number of chapters, eventually deciding on eight times four, and 2) how many voices should tell the story and because eight felt too many I have settled on seven, and 3) also, should the p.o.v. be first person and present tense as in Seven Stops, or only maybe only part similar?

Currently I am keeping it the same because it is not difficult to write, but the jury is still out.  Would it really matter?  Which do readers find easier or preferable?

Back to the number seven.  I know it has religious significance.  Years ago, I used to take my Bible everywhere and read it faithfully/dutifully, every night before I went to sleep.  Even though I am a Sikh, my parents weren't practising – though occasionally we did go to the Gurdwara – so I don't know how my going to Sunday school came about.  But I used to be filled with excitement every time I got ready to go.  It seems even then I loved stories, and hearing about the miracles was just magical.  The Methodist Church I attended was at the top of our road and I'm certain, unless I dreamed it, that Sir Cliff Richard (he was not a 'Sir' then), came once and that someone in the congregation sneezed, and he said 'Bless you'.

Is it digressing to mention superstition in this post?  Maybe/probably.  I try not to walk under ladders, but will, after I have looked up first.  And if I spill salt, I don’t always throw some over my shoulder.  Seems very wasteful so who even thought of that one?  There are a few others too.  On the whole, I try to avoid being labelled as superstitious because as a writer I have enough certain ‘habits’ already.

I think that at some point I will ask my mother as to why I attach such importance to numbers.  Nature v nurture.


No comments:

Post a Comment