Sunday 13 September 2015

Seasonal

Over the past fifteen or so years I have been regularly forced out into my garden. When I say its a big one, I'm not boasting.

Okay, that isn't it but...

I could say that on occasion, when I've been out there to mow, it has brought tears to my eyes.  Nope, not because I ran over the electric wire.  I found a temporary solution to that problem, again nope, its nothing to do with cows, goats or sheep.  Which still leaves several other options, but that isn't what this post is about.

In fact, my blog does say 'a writer's musings' and I have to stick to it.

I had decided to write about having been published in India for the 7th time and how fantastic it was when I heard.  Actually the feeling of euphoria hasn't diminished one iota since the first time in October last year.  That is probably why I continue to submit.  I find it amusing that my resultant 'high' always has me searching to get a similar fix from other publications, and then I do nothing.

C'est la vie.

During the last few weeks, along with writing for Indian Short Fiction magazine, ISF I've also managed to publish my novella, Devil's Crochet (which has already had its first 5* review), discovered how to turn another of my books into a paperback, and started the draft to a sequel.  There's been other writing related stuff going on too but they can go into my 'blogs for the future' treasure chest.  And that sentence is written with fingers crossed; there is no such wonderful container.  Everything is haphazardly left in 'safe' places and never seen again.


Now down to nature. As it has become clear, raspberries haven't been brilliantly abundant this August-September.  Nor have they been especially flavourful.  Normally I'm a hunter-gatherer and make jam or chutney from the fruit, but the jars are clean-ping ready, I've even made space in the cupboard, but its probably going to remain so.  I'm thinking about sorbet, or maybe even ice cream.  I'd certainly welcome some easy, tasty, recipes.


The blackberries are more prolific but they're far smaller than usual and again the flavour is disappointing.  I'm freezing them to decide later what their fate will be.

Usually the green beans outdo all the other vegetables I grow, leaving me despairing over what to do with them and who I can foist them onto, but the sum total I've had this year is this:
The plants look like they've given their all so there may not be any more.  These I've now chopped, put some into a soup and the rest have been portioned, bagged, and put into the freezer.

None of the peas had survived.  The leeks are looking good, plus not all of the sprouts have been had by winged creatures - in this case, the pigeons. My greengages were got at by a variety of 'beings' needed by nature for balance.  I love this fruit.  The early birds got my gooseberries but I forgave them.  It's my fault because I could have got up earlier.

As they say, last but not least, I'm onto the apples.  I have the most wonderful, but very very old, apple tree in the whole wide world.  Its apples if picked early are perfect as cooking apples, but if left until early October, then they're excellent for eating too.  Their taste is amazing. It's sweet but with a fresh tang that is making my taste buds tingle even as I'm writing.  Normally I'm eating them as I peel, cut, sometimes part cook, then portion off and freeze.  This year there aren't as many.  I don't think I'm going to giving many, if any, away.

With just over two weeks to go, it seems eating heartily from the freezer is a necessity to make room for my almost-ready goodies.

All I need now is some kind soul, who won't be eyeing up my apples, to commit to being available to climb the tree/ladder to help pick them.

No comments:

Post a Comment