Tuesday 8 September 2015

200 Word Challenge

2014 was a year of challenges. I was published for the first time in India in ISF magazine, a little story I called Internet Cafe.  I went to India in November for the first time since coming here as a child and met the family, and we did some touring.  Incredible experience, especially meeting the family.  No, that isn't them.



In the Autumn I started editing a novel that was way overdue.  Plus I ventured into flash fiction.  I wanted to see how few words I, who likes to use a dozen words when less than half that would suffice, could be happy capturing a story in.  Starting with 500+ I kept tightening until I'd got down to 300.  From there my determinism kicked in.  It resulted in a collection which I called She Dreamed Of Flash Fiction.  All the stories were 200 words each.

This cynic discovered she loves writing flash fiction.  Below is one of the more experimental ones about popcorn.  It requires a deep breath.

Popcorn Maker


Writing incessantly day in and out to earn her pennies to feed the family, to keep the roof over their heads, because the bills came in higher than the estimates said, the only way she could keep going was to plug in the last remaining electric appliance that continued working, and it was her loyal, faithful popcorn maker, for which she gave thanks every day, despite the fact the corn had to remain flavourless as the ingredients to make it similar to commercial products were beyond her budget, so she had grown accustomed – as was wont to happen – though her taste buds still remembered and yearned for tastier times as the machine buzzed and whirled, then spat out its insides into the cone shaped white plastic, from where a few self-delusional, still escaped and jumped, bouncing from the worktop to the chair and then the floor, it mattered not, until one true escapee, had to have its moment and because it believed it was different and non-conformist, but not a leader, tried a different tactic by leaping out and high and straight, catching her in the eye, resulting in the Popcorn Maker being labelled non viable and taken away immediately.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment